(Shortcut Version, because I'm nice like that!)
Cupcakes:1 box white cake mix
8 oz margarita mix (liquid)
2 oz tequila
1 oz Orange Liquor
(I used Grand Marnier, but Cruzan Orange Rum works great too!)
3 egg whites
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp grated lime zest
8 Tbsp butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp lime juice (I used keylimes)
1 Tbsp margarita mix
1 tsp lime zest
5 cups powdered sugar
Fresh limes (for garnish)
1. Preheat oven to 350º and prepare muffin pans.
2. Combine margarita mix, tequila, and Grand Marnier in a large glass and stir well.
3. In large bowl, combine cake mix, egg whites, lime zest, vegetable oil, and margarita mixture from step one. Stir ingredients together, then beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for approximately 2-3 minutes.
4. Spoon the batter into prepared muffin pans. Fill each cup/liner about 2/3 full.
5. Bake at recommended temperature on cake mix box (usually 325º – 350º) for 20 – 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
1. In a large bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, lime juice, margarita mix, and lime zest. Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.**
2. Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, and continue beating until smooth. If icing is too thin, add more powdered sugar, a couple tablespoons at a time.
3. Spread icing generously on each cooled cupcake or use a pastry bag to frost.
**Add 2 drops of green food coloring to icing if desired.
TIP: Sprinkle cane sugar around the edges of the cupcake for a “salt rimmed” look and garnish with lime wheels & wedges.